Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Homemade spring reverb chamber

Rather than through out this blown out unmatched trash-scored speaker cabinet, I decided to crack it open to see if I could scavenge anything.
Nope!  But I decided to make it into a spring reverb chamber as alternative to the one on my amp.  

I cut a comically inept hole in the other side, scraped all the old glue off and slapped a coat of paint of the fugly particleboard, and pulled a spring off a screen door, attaching it to some little screw-in hook things.
It's pretty primitive, obviously.  I want to get more springs (I might cave in and buy some slinkies) and it would be nice to have a internal speaker and/or pickup attached to the frame.  Still, it's not bad for literally no money and maybe an hour's work.

Here's a quick test, first dry and then with the spring reverb on the guitar and drums through the cabinet by themselves to simulate a roomier sound (exaggerated for effect).

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Homemade Speaker Grill and General Bling

While I'm looking for speakers to stick in this empty 2X12 cabinet I decided to try and clean the nasty thing up and replace the smashed up speaker grill.  It's been pouring rain for two days so I didn't fell like leaving to round up supplies - luckily I was able to scavenge up enough random stuff around the house to improvise.
This old silkscreen frame saved me the hassle of trying to build one, which probably would've been particle board or something anyway.
I could've bought some fancy basket-weave or something but this random skirt works in a pinch.  Don't mind the weird stains or erratic staple job.

A little velcro, and some scrubbing and repairs to the tolex...
Because I am classy, I enameled the rusty corners in gold.
Not bad, or at least less bad.  Those weird streaks are the drying fabric stiffener ("Stiffy" brand, even).  Maybe I'll paint something on it.  Now all I need is some speakers...

Monday, September 17, 2012

100 Posts!

Several people have asked me to repost some of the music stuff on here, and since this is the big 100 I figured I'd oblige.  There's some new stuff here too, long out-of-print demos and things probably best left forgotten.  Oh well...
Blood Summer - True Crime
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ecihq9ixzg0ndvr

Swamp Ape - self titled (remastered)
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?r6l5svc8395db73

Swamp Ape - Silverback in Black
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?e9fj0wp6p6lzgp9

Danny Brown x Swamp Ape - Triple Ape
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hbg7596epn9a44f


Blood Summer - Demo
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ibc339lcgdk7bv4

Party Grave - demo
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?05sz1agg3aem1u2

Jacuzzi Suicide - Jacuzzi Rising 7"
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gbrkzd5syiuh388

Reagan's Bones - Reaganomics 7"
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?z3v1es7i64n5h91

Jacuzzi Suicide - demo
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zob806v98e5pdea

Death Rattle - demo
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?c1zunzlc3herjaj

Raw Deal - first demo
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?lu0mt449bhixuvh

Resurrectum - Demo
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?x1xrnlztjaxxlcd

Bomb Threat - Demo
http://www.mediafire.com/?bck25o33217a5r7
(courtesy of Remote Outposts)

Sunday, September 9, 2012

How to make your guitar cabinet sound better with bubble wrap

I recently bought a no-name 4x12 for pocket change.  As expected,  it didn't sound too hot, so I figured I'd take a look inside and see what I could do.
Obviously I can't do much about the cheap particle-board frame or the underwhelming 8 ohm speakers with tiny magnets, but the wiring is good and there's a few things I can fix right off the bat.  First I scrubbed down the inside with bleach and water to kill the horrifying rainbow of mold growing everywhere.  Then I tightened every internal screw I could find, especially the ones holding the speakers to the baffle.  Even top shelf cabinets need this from time to time.
Next, I added some bubble wrap to all four sides and the back baffle to suck up some of the low end resonance and allow me to turn up a bit louder without rattling the whole box.
I wasn't terribly precise with this, and if I'd had some eggcrate foam or carpet felt or something I might have laid that down first with glue.  As it is I got a noticeable boost in the mids and more focus without adding any real weight to the thing.
Then I cannibalized some feet off an old DJ mixer and scrounged up some drywall screws and rubber cement for good measure.  The box already had holes drilled so presumable there were feet or casters on it at some point.  Just getting the base off of the floor cut out a ton of ugly low-end resonance and added more energy to the high end.  This is a very simple step than can have a huge effect - too many people ignore this.
That's it for the moment.  I'm going to replace the long-gone handles if I can find some to match and eventually try to find some better speakers but this hour of work made a huge difference already, for no money and a light rubber cement buzz.


 Here's the spectral analysis - green is before, pink after.

No guarantees about the accuracy or reliability of any of this info.  In other words, don't expect this to work on every cabinet and don't blame me if you screw it up. 

diamond tattoos


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...